Thursday 24 April 2014

The Retail World



Time and time again I get asked the same question in which I always give the same generic answer to… that is until today.  Once people learn that I work in the wonderful retail world, specifically the jewellery division, they always seem to ask me the exact same question:  “Do you like your job and why do you do it?” To this, I robotically answer in the most humble way that I possibly can “Yes because I know exactly what I am doing and I happen to be good at it”.

A few days ago, I served a gentleman whose story and feedback was so touching that it helped me realize why I really love my job. This lovely man had come into the store looking for a gift to purchase for his mother-in-law, so naturally I asked what the occasion was. He said that there was no occasion; he just wanted to express his appreciation for her and all that she has done for him and his children. Now having worked in this industry for over 4 years, I know that if a son-in-law has come in to purchase an appreciation gift for his mother-in-law, she must have done something spectacular and I was interested in hearing about it. So instead of bombarding this man with loads of information and option, I decided bombard him with questions.

Through interrogating this poor man who was so patient with me and all of my questions, I discovered that this man’s wife had passed away 2 years ago, leaving him and his 2 young sons in a world of pain. This complete stranger opened up him and his family’s heartbreaking experience watching his wife battle breast cancer. He told me how his youngest son, who is now only 7 years old, would stay up all night waiting for his mother to come home, only to realize that she would not be returning. He expressed his fear of how his children would grow up without the love and support from their mother. His fear of how he wouldn’t be able to provide the right advice for his boys growing up. His fear that he wouldn’t show them enough love and affection, or that if he did he’d be smothering them. He then told me how his mother-in-law has been the greatest help in helping him and his children through this tragic time. This man who was a complete stranger less than half and hour ago had just completely opened up and shared his painful experience with me.

After finding what we thought would be the perfect gift for his mother-in-law, he took a big breath and thanked me. Most customer typically do thank the sales associate at the end of the transaction for their help, but he stood there for a minute in silence before he actually articulated what he was thanking me for.

He told me that I was the first person who has asked him why he appreciates his mother-in-law so much, this being the reason why he felt so comfortable sharing his personal story and fears with. He said that once people find out that his wife has passed away, they simply apologize and try to change the topic. He thanked me for being there and actually listening to him, instead of trying to be that good friend who is just listening for support.

I really started to think about what this man had said to me and as I walked into work the next few shifts, I really began to understand why I loved my job. I love my job because of all of the different personalities I get to work with. I love my job because of the different obstacles I have to overcome to provide the best service. I love my job because it requires me to listen. I love my job because I get to hear all sorts of amazing stories, whether they bring laughter or tears. But most importantly, I love my job because sometimes a non-judgmental mind and a set of ears is all someone needs to help them get through a difficult time – and to some people, a complete stranger is what they need.  

Each person is fighting a battle we may not be aware of. A genuine smile or simply holding the door open for the next person is all it takes to have their day go by a little smoother.

Remember; be kind, we’re all on this journey together.




- Anahid 

No comments:

Post a Comment